Kazan Federal University Higher Education Complete University Guide
Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University (Russian: Казанский (Приволжский) федеральный университет, Kazanskiy (Privolzhskiy) Federalnor Universalitet; Tatar: Казан (Идел Буе) федеери ни
Established in 1804 as Kazan Imperial University, the famous mathematician Nikolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky served as rector from 1827 to 1846. In 1925, the university was named in honor of its most famous student, Vladimir Ulyanov (Lenin). The university is known as the birthplace of organic chemistry due to the birthplace of electron spin resonances discovered by organic butlovs, Vladimir Markovnikov, Alexander Arbuzov and Evgeny Zavovsky.
Kazan Federal University Details:
Name Kazan Federal University
Name Казанский государственный университет
Address 18 Ulitsa Kremlevskaya, Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia
Motto Learn, Discover, Take Action
Colours Navy blue and white
Kazan Federal University of History:
Kazan University, one of the oldest universities in Russia, was established on 17 November 1804, when Emperor Alexander I signed a positive letter and charter about the creation of the Kazan Imperial University. The first students enrolled in 1805 were graduates. First Kazan Gymnasium – an autonomous affiliate of Moscow State University, under whose aegis Kazan University operated for the first time.
It was not until 1814 that the university held its full opening. It was reorganized as a classical university with four departments: moral and political science, physical and mathematical sciences, medical sciences and philosophy. Before the establishment of Tomsk University, Kazan University was the easternmost university in the Russian Empire, thus serving for the Volga, Kam and Ural regions, Siberia and the Caucasus.
In 1819, m. L. Magnitsky reviewed the university, reporting on the ‘feeling of dissatisfaction and wrongdoing’ at the university. In his report to the emperor, he spoke of the “public destruction” of the university and demanded its closure, but Alexander vowed to ‘destroy what was destroyed’. Magnitsky was consequently appointed trustee of the Kazan School District, which negatively affected the university, many professors were dismissed and ‘harmful’ books were withdrawn from the library’s collection. In addition, a strict barrack domestic rule was introduced for university students.
In 1819–1821 Kazan University alumnus and scholar Ivan Simonov participated in the discovery of Antarctica during the first round world expedition and led Antarctic studies.
Topics of particular difference include the creation of non-Euclidean geometry by Nikolai Lobchevsky, the discovery of the chemical element ruthenium by Karl Klaus, the theory of the chemical structure of organic compounds by Brian Butlerov, the discovery of electron paramagnetic resonance by Yevgeny Zavowski. And development of organophosphorus chemical compounds by semen alkali by acoustic paramagnetic resonance, Alexander and Boris Arbuzov and many others.
Since its inception, the university has produced over 70 thousand professionals. Among university students and alumni are noted scholars and famous people, such as the founder of the Soviet Union, Vladimir Lenin, the authors Sergei Aksakov, Leo Tolstoy, Pavel Melnikov-Pekarsky, Velimir Halbanov, the composer Milli Balakirav, and the painter. Valerie Yakobi.
Kazan Federal University Student Services and Facilities:
The main campus of Kazan Federal University is located in the city of Kazan, 10 minutes from the Kazan Kremlin.
The main building at Kazan University was designed by the architect Petr Pinnitsitzky and built in the 1820s. Primarily the oldest part of the main building has three classic portals with the white façade of the original 1822 construction.
From 1832 to 1841, the architect M. Korinfsky built the rest of the buildings on the neo-classical architecture complex of Kazan University. The main building yard now houses the Central Administrative Office, Physical Theater, Library, Chemistry and Physics Laboratories and Observatory.
The Chemical Faculty Building (since 2003: Alexander Butlerov Chemistry Institute) was built in 1953 with the support of students. The original building was built in the Soviet Neoclassical style. In the 1960s–70s, two tall buildings were built to the north and west of the main building. The most recent addition was in 2015, when a 7-story laboratory building was added to the campus.
The main campus of Kazan Federal University located in Kazan is divided into 16 institutions, 3 high schools and two faculties. The university also has two branches in Naberezhnye Chelny and Yelabuga.
The university offers most of its programs in Russian. Prospective students who do not speak Russian are required to attend a one-year language training course at KFU International Preparatory School. Teaching in English is provided for many programs at the university at the specialist and master’s level.
Physics, Mathematics and IT
- Institute of Physics
- N.I. Lobachevsky Institute of Mathematics and Mechanics
- Institute of Computational Mathematics and Information Technologies
- Higher School of Information Technologies and Intellectual Systems
- Institute of Engineering
- Institute of Geology and Petroleum Technologies
- Institute of Fundamental Medicine and Biology
- Institute of Environmental Sciences
- Alexander Butlerov Institute of Chemistry
- Institute of Philology and Intercultural Communication
- Institute of Social and Philosophical Sciences and Mass Communications
- Institute of International Relations, History and Oriental Studies
- Institute of Psychology and Education
- Institute for the Comparative Studies of Modernity
- Institute of Language
- Faculty of Law
- Institute of Management, Economics and Finance
- Higher School of Public Administration
- Higher School of Business
Additional academic units
- Physical Education and Sports Academic Unit
- Institute of Continuing Education
- Faculty of Advanced Training and Staff Retraining
Kazan Federal University of Library:
The University of Kazan Nikolai Lobchevsky Scientific Library has the world’s most important bibliographic collections, including 15,000 manuscripts and 3,000 rare books. Opened in 1809, it included the first Count G. The earliest Bibliophiles v. Potemkin’s books were brought to Kazan in 1799. Polyinsky and Ann. Bulich’s collection was mixed. Subsequently, the Solvatsky Monastery collections were added to the library.