Study at Athens State University | Degree/ Diploma, UG, PG, Full Information
Athens State University is a two-year upper-level university located in Athens, Alabama, United States. Thirty-three different majors are offered to junior and senior students. The majors are housed in one of three colleges: Education, Arts and Sciences, and Business.
Athens State University of History:
In December of 1822, a group of citizens from Athens, Alabama, had a vision for an institute of higher learning to serve the educational needs of the women in the community. After five acres of land was purchased and a single building was built, Athens Female Academy was born and the storied history that would eventually lead to the creation of Athens State University began.
In 1842, ownership of the school was transferred to the Tennessee Conference of the Methodist Church. With the switch, Athens Female Academy became Athens Female Institute. This name remained throughout the conflict of the Civil War and through the birth of the North Alabama Conference of the Methodist Church in 1870, when the Institution came under the jurisdiction of that body. Following this transfer to the newly formed conference, the name was again changed to Athens Female College in 1889.
Following changes in social mores and community needs, Athens Female College was transformed into a co-educational institution of higher learning in 1931 and became known merely as Athens College. More than 40 years later, on May 10, 1974, the Athens College Board of Trustees requested from the North Alabama Conference of the United Methodist church that the Institution be allowed to seek affiliation with the State of Alabama. At its annual meeting in June of that same year, the conference signed off on the transfer and Athens College was officially approved to become a public institution of higher learning.
A year later, in June 1975, the Alabama State Board of Education accepted Athens College into the state educational system. Following its acceptance, the Alabama State Legislature appropriated funds for the operation of the newly minted Athens State College to serve the graduates of state junior, community, and technical colleges and institutes. Finally, in 1998, a bill was passed to rename the College as Athens State University to reflect its growth and change over the years.
As the only institution in the state of Alabama offering upper-division educational services, Athens State University continues to enjoy the important and unique position that it has always occupied within the community. With a firm history upon which to build its foundation, Athens State’s colorful past has supplied the Institution with the tools necessary to continue serving Alabama far into the future.
Athens State University Student Services and Facilities:
i. Beaty-Mason House:-
Built in 1826 by the founder of Athens, Robert Beaty, the Beaty-Mason House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house, a few blocks south of the main campus, served as the home for four generations of the Beaty-Mason family before being purchased and renovated by the University in 1958 to serve as the President’s residence. It is currently undergoing extensive renovations.
ii. Brown Hall:-
Completed in 1912, Brown Hall formerly housed the offices of the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Associate and Assistant Vice Presidents for Academic Affairs, and Institutional Research. Brown Hall is named for Florence Brown, a teacher who cared for those affected by a 1909 campus typhoid epidemic. Miss Brown lost her life as a result of her efforts, and her parents donated funds in her memory for the building of Brown Hall as a new women’s dormitory. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
iii. Bullington House (President’s Home):-
Currently serving as the President’s Home, the Bullington House was built in 1910 on the corner of Bryan and Beaty Streets on what was originally a portion of the estate of the McConnell family. The house, an example of the Free Classic architectural style, was purchased by the University in 2006 and was originally used for administrative offices before becoming the President’s Home in 2010.
iv. Carter Physical Education Center:-
Built in 1965 and originally serving as the hub for the University’s athletic programs (which were discontinued in 2004), the Center is named for former Alabama State Representative Tommy Carter and his wife JoAnn in recognition of their support to the institution. The Center houses classrooms, the Athletic Museum, and the Delmore Brothers Collection. In addition to its use for physical education activities, the Center gymnasium is used for graduation exercises and for a variety of meetings and community events.
v. Chasteen Hall:-
Chasteen Hall, just off the main campus on the corner of Clinton and Hobbs Streets, currently houses the offices for the Adult Degree Program and the Testing Center, as well as various classrooms and computer labs. The building is named for Dr. James R. Chasteen, President of Athens State (1981-1990), and his wife Melba. Originally owned by then Athens College, the building was sold and served as both a grocery store and a hardware store for many years before being repurchased by the University.
vi. Classroom Building:-
The Classroom Building, housing a student lounge, and interactive and multi-purpose classrooms, was completed in the fall of 1998. In 2013, the Building also became the home for the Office of Student Activities.
vii. Founders Hall:-
Founders Hall currently houses the Office of the President, offices for Financial Affairs, and faculty and staff offices for the College of Arts and Sciences. The iconic building of the University, Founders was built in 1842 by the Tennessee Conference of the Methodist Church on five acres of land donated by the Maclin/Hobbs family. This era of the institution represents the transition of the institution’s control to the Conference from the private female academy first established in 1822. A variety of additions completed over the years have tripled the dimensions of the original building. In addition to the various offices, Founders also houses a parlor and chapel, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Athens State University Library:
The Athens State University Library opened in 1996, with the majority of the funds for its construction coming from private donations. In addition to the Library collection and offices, the building houses the University Writing Center, a Learning Commons area, and the Dr. Elva Bell McLin Archives Room.
Athens State University Student Activities:
The Office of Student Activities provides opportunities for enhancing the social development of students by providing programs that offer cultural, recreational and personal growth opportunities and the development of leadership skills. Through its sponsorship and support of student extracurricular activities, the Office fosters a campus community within the context of a primarily commuting and online learning student body. The Office promotes student representation in University governance its oversight of the Student Government Association.
Athens State University students are strongly encouraged to participate in campus extracurricular activities and to utilize the services provided by the Office of Student Activities and the University.
Office of Student Activities
The Village—Building 4 (Beasley Field)
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday